I am glad to announce this month’s theme for Think Spice as Nigella Seeds a.k.a kalonji in Hindi. Thank you dear sunita for giving me this wonderful opportunity. The event starts on 1st April ’2009 and the last date for entries is 30th April 2009.
Nigella seeds are commonly known as roman coriander or black onion seeds and are also mostly mistaken for black sesame, black cumin or onion seeds.
It is aromatic in taste and has a distinct flavor when ground . They are used as a pickling spice. The flavor is said to be nutty and acrid with a faint flavor of oregano. The seeds are said to benefit digestion and are usually dry roasted to enhance the flavor and aroma. They are commonly added to vegetable curries, pulse dishes and sprinkled over rice pilafs and naan breads. Also a common spice in Africa and the Middle east.
Here are the rules for the event :
Post a recipe of any kind, using kalonji, also, in any form you desire (seeds, powder etc.) … it would be really nice if the spice could hold it’s ground in the dish and is not overpowered by many others….after all, the post is supposed to be dedicated specially to them….other spices will have their turn in due course. Feel free to share all your thoughts and information on the chosen spice.
- Include a link back to this post for the benefit of your readers and future references.
- Email me your entry with your name, a picture,if any (250 pixels wide, height does not matter) of your dish and the permalink of your recipe by or before the announced deadline to ammaluskitchen(at) gmail(dot)com with the subject -Think Spice…think Kalonji.
- Non -Bloggers are also welcome to participate. Just e-mail me your entry with a picture to me
- The round ups will be posted during the first week of the following month.
- Feel free to use the logo.
I am looking forward to seeing all the interesting entries!