My thoughts and prayers are always with you Bri. We are glad that the contributions have come faster than expected. I send this wonderful Lemon and Honey Tart to Jugalbandi and pray for your well being. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
For the crust
1 cup all purpose flour
7 tablespoons of butter
1 teaspoon of sugar
A pinch of salt
2 tablespoons of iced water
For the Filling
1 cup of cottage cheese
6 tablespoons of Orange honey ( Plain , clover or any other type will do)
2 eggs beaten lightly
Zest and juice of one whole lemon
1. Take all the ingredients for the crust in a stand mixer or use an electric hand blender and mix well until the mixture becomes crumbly.
2. Next take the mixture , lightly form a dough and press into a fluted tart pan and press it with your fingers lining the pan. The best tool , I realised to even the crust is the back of a spoon. One can smoothen with it easily.
3. Next , poke holes with the tines of a fork , cover and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes. When you chill you dont have to bake using baking beans and parchment paper. remember the store bought pie crust ?
4. while the crust is chilling, Strain all the water in the cottage cheese, this is very imp , else you will have a liquid filling. Add the honey , zest of a lemon and juice of one lemon and beat until smooth. In a seperate bowl lightly beat the eggs and add this to the cottage cheese and honey batter and mix well.
5. Remove from the freezer and bake the crust for 13-15 minutes a preheated oven set at 425F. The crust should be golden and firm , not brown.
6. Next , transfer to a cooling rack and once cool , fill the crust with the filling. Pack the filling until the top and again bake for 30 minutes or until the filling is set, this time by reducing the oven temperature to 350F.
7. Transfer to a cooling rack, cool , refrigerate atleast for an hour and serve chill. Dust it with some confectioner’s sugar if you want to for a more appealing look.
The other cheeses that can be used are ricotta or cream cheese apart from cottage cheese.
i am a flavoured honey fan , so to go with the tangy fresh flavour , I used orange honey
If one is using cottage cheese, its very important to strain all the water from the cheese and then mix it with honey and lightly beaten eggs.
Always zest the lemon before squeezing the juice.
I used 7 tablespoons of butter , which was too much for me , even to indulge. I’d appreciate if anyone can let me know how to decrease the amount and also how to substitute it.
This recipe is a real favorite , as I use honey and just 1 teaspoon of sugar in the crust and then there is the goodness of cottage cheese.
The first picture is my Click entry for June ’08 – Yellow for Bri