A couple of years ago , if anyone talked about eating tofu , I would wrinkle my nose in distaste and swear that I wouldn’t eat it for anything in the world. Today , I relish it so much that its a part of my meal almost everyday.
I starting being conscious about what goes into me only a few years ago , Otherwise I was a walking talking junk machine. Living away from home , drinking large amounts of coffee to keep me going until dinner , sometimes eating just one a day ahhggg… . the average ambitious woman deftly climbing the corporate ladder , getting deeper into the rut and forgetting there is a life and more important things beyond work .I cant believe how I ill-treated my body. I changed my ways and make it a point to detox myself atleast once in 2-3 months , eat healthy , mostly natural food. Tofu then came into my life and became my best buddy . I am always finding new ways to eat it and here are such recipes that I thoroughly enjoy.
- 1 block of tofu
1 cup of corn kernels, peas , sweet peppers
1/2 cup of finely chopped onions
1 teaspoon of chat masala
Chili powder/black pepper
A pinch of black salt
Oil and salt to taste
For the parathas
For the stuffing:
2 cups of wheat flour kneaded into dough for parathas
1. Place the tofu on absorbent paper towels and press excess water out of it and crumble it.
2. In a skillet add Oil and saute the onions and the mixed vegetables . Once cooked , add the crumbled tofu and add the chat masala, chili powder or black pepper and black salt and cook only until the raw smell of the masala goes away . Do not overcook. Remove from heat and cool.
3. In a separate bowl mix the wheat dough for parathas and keep aside at least for 1/2 hour.
4. Take of a golf ball sized dough and roll it out in a round , place the stuffing in the middle , pack it and get all the sides closer on top of the stuffing like a ball . Roll slowly on all sides without tearing the dough.
5. Heat a tawa , add some ghee and cook on both sides until done.
Update: One of my readers has written to me that they found it a little difficult to make the parathas as the tofu doesn’t have a binding agent. yes , its a little tricky to work with it as its crumbly , therefore add a small boiled potato to the mixture , it will help you work well and bind it together.
If you want to eat the above mixture as a salad, dont crumble the tofu , instead cut into cubes and saute it for a few seconds. I promise you wont regret your meal!
This goes to the lovely srivalli’s roti mela
The remaining goes into a tofu sandwich, great for on the go breakfast or lunch!