Sweet Madhuram of eggless cooking has tagged me for a meme for 10 things I hate , I have a few Pet peeves/ things that Id rather not do that I’d like to share …
1. I am organized to the T when it comes to my surroundings , because there is so much clutter in my head ( I meant loads of information being processed by the brain) , I get nightmares if my kitchen is not clean or there is some unfinished work , If thats a disorder , then I suffer from it.
2. No procrastination for me , especially when it comes to paying bills , if I have to pay someone or a bill , I have to do that immediately , It simply cant wait.
3. The one and only thing where loathing is an understatement is driving. I’d rather walk if i can than drive.
4. I immensely dislike it when a person during a conversation , lends a deaf ear to what you have to say and go ahead with their opinions. For crying out loud , its a conversation ( assuming its 2-way and between 2 people)! Listening is an art !
5. I have zero tolerance for patronizing/condescending behavior . Be it family , friends or acquaintances , I am ruthless with them.
6. Now this is hatred , when people advice me on completing our family with children ,Who are they to give me advice on what I should do next?
7. I rather not be an emotional crutch to people , I am like a sponge , I absorb their problems and let it bother me , they seem to forget I am human sometimes , thus the anti- social avatar!
8. I am given celebrity status in my family , everything I do is scrutinized and I have been under a microscope for a really long time , I hate it and one cant imagine how overbearing that can be.A disadvantage of having a close knit extended family as much as I love them.
9. I dislike it when someone buys me clothes and thrusts them on me , Someone did that when I came to the US and I was wearing a bunch of horrible green skirts and I hated every moment of it and I never bought a green outfit after that , however good . Now I say ” Oh they are beautiful ! Can I have the receipt to return them please ? ” I am shameless!
10. I hate is when people say that I am lucky because K tends to me when I am sick or cooks for me when I want him to do it or does things that a few/ most men normally don’t . When he does them ,I am lucky and if I do it for him, then its duty . People tend to forget that both of us nurture ,give into this relationship and are equally responsible for each other. I really wish I could change this.
So after venting out all this bitterness , I find solace in Theeyati Pulusu, a mild dish with an unusual combination of vegetables tied together with a medley of spices.Theeyati Pulusu or vegetables medley in sweet sauce is a common pulusu /stew in Andhra Pradesh. Most Commonly eaten with rice . I am immensely partial to south Indian food. The very mention of it , sets my taste buds tingling. This recipe traditonally calls for sweet potatoes , drumsticks , squash etc. Dare to be experimental with this dish , The results would still be stunning!
I used the fiber rich ,fattened, round eight-ball squash from California . It is a spherical hybrid of zucchini. It shares the same dark, speckled green skin and plump insides, this squash can be served the same way as zucchini. When I rummaged my kitchen treasure chest( my refrigerator) , found an almost wilting golden beetroot and a few frozen drumsticks. The result was more than satisfactory. I used Menthi Podi , A flavorful podi made by my mother in law , used commonly in pulusu and sambhar , I will share soon. Just to give you an idea, it has a strong flavour of fenugreek in it . If you would like to use sambhar podi instead . Add a 1/4 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds to the popu and it will give the same flavour.
I am sending this to Eat healthy -fiber rich hosted by Sangeeth of Art of Cooking Indian Food . Thank you sangeeth for hosting such a wonderful event.
The green squash at the left hand side is the round eight ball squash
- 1 teaspoon of Urad dal
1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
A few sprigs of curry leaves
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
A few red chillies
A liberal pinch of asafoetida
small rounded squash / red pumpkin chopped
8-12 pieces of drumsticks
One sweet potato / beetroot chopped
3 shallots chopped
1 tablespoon shredded fresh or dry coconut
2 teaspoons sesame powder
2 teaspoons powdered jaggery
1 teaspoon menthi podi / sambhar powder
2 teaspoons of besan/ chickpea flour
2 teaspoons of tamarind extract
1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
Oil , Salt to taste
Cilantro for garnish.
For the Popu/Seasoning :
1. Chop all the vegetables into large chunks. Heat oil in a thick bottomed vessel and do the popu in the order of urad dal , cumin seeds , mustard seeds , red chilies , curry leaves and asafoetida.
2. Once the mustard seeds pop , add all the chopped vegetables and add salt , turmeric and cook covered until tender , This takes about 10-15 minutes.
3. Then add the Menthi Podi , tamarind extract , coconut, sesame powder , jaggery powder . Also mix besan in water and make sure there are no lumps and add to the cooked vegetables ( this helps thicken the soup) . Mix well and let it simmer until the flavours mingle. Garnish with cilantro and Serve hot with rice
Theeyati Pulusu , a meal by itself