Are you the kind of person who loves to give gifts ? I love to give handmade gifts . There is something very fulfilling about giving a gift that is handmade . I feel a lot of love and effort goes into it and it definitely sends a message to the person receiving it , how much we cherish them . I have a few simple DIY’s up my sleeve for the hostess which are simple , thoughtful , unique , pretty , useful and most importantly don’t break the bank.
This DIY is so simple that my kids helped me and we could do it in one afternoon. , If you don’t have square coasters like I had in my stash , you can find thin ply boards as less as $5 in any home improvement store like Home depot and Lowe’s and they can cut the 4X4 squares for you for free and you can whip up a ton of them . Another option is to use ceramic tile , but they are going to be heavier than these wood ones .
The coasters I had were purchased in India in a sale in Shopper’s stop I think … I purchased them about 5 years ago and have never opened them until I was rummaging my closet for something else . They are pretty as they are , but I’m not a fan of brown and wanted to spruce them .
What you need
4- 6 pack square wood coasters
2 kinds of wrapping paper
A brush to apply the modge podge
Gold Sharpie Pen
Shopping or Old credit card
1. Make sure your coasters are free of dirt and grime . Spray some water / cleaner and wipe with a dry cloth and dry them until all the moisture is gone . This is a very important step . Do not skip it .
2. Measure the coasters against the wrapping paper and cut the paper according to size
4. Using a shopping or old credit card , run the card in one direction from one end to another making sure there are no bubbles .
5. Apply a thin coat of Modge Podge again on top of the paper at least for 3 times and let it dry for at least 3 days .
6. Repeat on the other side again .
7. After the coasters are dry , I ran a gold colored sharpie across the edges to give it a more glamorous look . If your wood or tile is thicker , you can also gold leaf it .
8. Because I used different kind of paper each side , it would be easy to switch them up whenever Im in for a change
The total cost of the project would be approximately $10 and you can re use the items purchased many many times .